search results

Sunday, June 20, 2010

beyond my first marathon

Last year I ran the Honolulu marathon in December, and it was awesome. It was my first marathon, and my first time in Hawaii. I had begun training with a friend, but when they dropped out a few months out I decided to continue on - I hadn't, after all, been training on hotel treadmills in strange cities as I traveled for work for nearly six months, for nothing!

I ran a respectable time: 4:28, and this year I have a goal of coming in under 4 hours. I am planning on running the Kauai marathon in September and then Honolulu again in December (yes, I do see the Hawaii theme emerging). I live in New York where it gets cold, so any excuse to head to warmer waters, particularly if I can couch it in something that is good for me, is a big win!

So I am into week 6 of the FIRST marathon training program, and tonight I ran the long run (14 miles). I am struggling to stick to the marathon plan (I naturally prefer a more ad hoc approach), but have gotten a bunch of glowing recommendations about how it can improve your time, so I'm giving it a whirl.

This week 3 runs: 10x400m; 6miles, 14 miles

Top tips for myself: don't think too much before you go running - just get out there and turn your brain off, it's over before you know it. I didn't get out there until too late today, so I ended up having to do my long run on the treadmill at my gym - but fear not, other than having found my lost ipod and all of my music, Remember the Titans was also running so Denzel kept me company on my run.

No comments:

Post a Comment